Christmas is this week! To be honest I am more looking forward to the New Year and a new start as 2016 has not been a very good year probably for some of us :(
The topic that I am writing about today can still be a bit confusing to some as essences and ampoules have not been as familiar products in the West as they have been in the East. So what are the differences between these three products and how are you meant to use them?
I am here to share my guide on what they are and suggestions for products for different skin types.
What's the difference between an essence, ampoule and serum?
First of all, all of these products are used after cleansing (and toner if you use it). They have all been designed to treat your skin right after cleansing and before creams. They differ in terms of texture and concentration amount of active ingredients.
The thing that is most confusing is that there are essences that have a thicker texture than serums or the directions tell you to use in before toner etc. I actually have a serum at the moment that is more runnier in texture than my essence...If this is the case then I recommend using the product with a runnier texture first as it will sink into skin quicker.
Essence is a more watery than serum and often comes in a bigger bottle size due to the texture. Essences are less concentrated that serums and can be applied generously to skin.
Serums is probably the more commonly known and used out of these three products. A lot of Western brands use the word serum with their products. Serums are more concentrated than essences and have a thicker texture.
Ampoules have the highest concentration amounts of active ingredients and therefore come in smaller packaging. They provide the maximum dose of ingredients to your skin. They can be used in the place of serum or 2-4 times per week treatment to compliment your skincare routine. It is used before your serums and/or essence. It is most often the priciest of the three due to the high concentration and benefits for skin.
Normal/Dry skin:Skin needs: hydrating and nutrition providing products. Products that target skin brightening, anti-aging, deep moisture, both light weight and heavier textures are suitable.
1. Nature Republic Vitamin B5 Essence:
Active Ingredients: Vitamin B5, panthenol and medecasoside.
2. Pongdang Water Jelly Aloe Essence:
Active Ingredients: Natural herb extract of Aloe Vera, Lavender, Bergamot, Freesia, Peppermint, Rosemary and Chamomile.
3. Laneige Water Bank Essence EX:
Active ingredients: Hydro Ion Mineral Water, tillandsia extracts, Quinoa seed extracts and ion minerals.
1. IT'S SKIN Hyaluronic Acid Moisture Serum:
Active Ingredients: Hyaluronic acid and blueberry extract.
2. THE FACE SHOP The Therapy Water Drop Anti Aging Moisturizing Serum:
Active Ingedients: oat seed extract, lavender extract, rose extract.
3. ETUDE HOUSE Pink Vital Water Serum:
Active Ingredients: Peach water.
1. SCINIC Aqua All in one Ampoule:
Active Ingredients: Deep sea water, Alaska glacial milk and seaweed complex extract
2. HOLIKA HOLIKA One Solution Super Energy Ampoule:
Active ingredients: Super Fruits Complex, super marine complex and super vegetable complex.
3. INNISFREE Jeju lava seawater intensive ampoule:
Active Ingredients: ceramide and lava sea water,
Skin needs: Products that are gentle but provide enough moisture, nutrition and target skin concerns. Products with minimum amount of chemicals.
1. BEYOND Phyto Aqua Essence
Active ingredient: plant complex and mushroom extract
2. Innisfree Soybean energy essence
Active ingredients: fermented extract of Jeju soybeans
3. BEYOND Lotus Aqua Bloom Essence
Active ingredients: lotus extract and Micro Hyaluronic Acid
1. BEYOND Aqua Bloom Moisture Serum
Active ingredients: Micro hyaluronic acid and kakadu plum
2. Innisfree The Green Tea Seed Serum:
Active Ingredients: green tea and green tea seed oil
3. BEYOND Himalaya Deep Moisture Serum in Oil:
Active Ingredient: Himalayan Hium herbs, Argan Oil, Hyaluronic Acid
1. Mizon Original Skin Energy - Hyaluronic Acid 100
Active ingredients: Hyaluronic Acid, ceramide and raspberry extract.
2.Innisfree The Minimum Ampoule Essence
Active ingredient: madecassoside
3. Etude House Super Collagen Ampoule Essence
Active Ingredient: hydrolyzed collagen
Skin needs: Products that are meant for oily and dry skin. Products that target pore tightening, hydration, brightening and sebum control. Products that aren't too heavy in texture.
1. INNISFREE Green tea fresh essence
Active ingredient: green tea extracts
2. COSRX Hyaluronic Acid Hydra Power essence
Active ingredients: Hyaluronic Acid and Sea buckthorn water
3. LANEIGE Clear C Advanced Effector EX
Active ingredients: superberries Acerola and Acai Berry extracts
1. MISSHA Super Aqua Ultra Waterfull Intensive Serum
Active ingredients: cactus, Baobab Tree Extract, Purified Mineral Water
2. CIRACLE Pore Control Tightening Serum
Active ingredients: chamomile and witch hazel.
3. NEOGEN Vita Lightening Serum
Active ingredients: Vitamin C Derivatives, Mulberry Extract, Soybean Extract
1. MISSHA Time Revolution Night Repair Science Activator Borabit Ampoule
Active Ingredients: Bifida, Lactobacillus, and Lactococcus
2. LEEJIHAM Dr's care Vita Propolis Ampoule
Active ingredients: Propolis extract, Sea buckthorn extract, Centella Asiatica and Witch hazel extract
3. Cosrx Centella Blemish Ampoule
Active ingredient: Centella Asiatica Leaf Water
Oily/Acne Prone Skin:
Skin needs: Products that target oiliness and break outs. Light weight products that control sebum, tighten pores, heal scars/spots and even out skin tone,
1.The Face Shop Clean Face Blemish Zero Clinic Solution
active ingredients: mung beans birch tree & rumex crispus
2. COSRX BHA Black Head Power Liquid
Active ingredients:Willow Bark Extract and Niacinamide
3. IOPE Pore Clinic Tightening Essence:
Active ingredient: Siberia Plant Peptide
1.OST C20 Original Pure Vitamin C20 Serum
Active Ingredient: 6,000mg of 100% Pure Vitamin C, L-Ascorbic acid
2. TONYMOLY AC Control Serum
Active ingredients: Japanese umbrella-pine, centella, and sage extracts
3. PROFORMULA Phytovita Silk Serum:
Active ingredients: tea tree, sea weed, algae and pine extracts.
1. Lioele: Pore Clean & Tightening Dr. Ampoule
Active Ingredients: Zinc PCA, tea tree oil and limonum lemon fruit oil extract.
2. Mizon Snail Repair Intensive Ampoule
Active ingredient: Snail secretion filtrate
3. The SaemThe Essential Galactomyces Vitamin Ampoule
Active ingredient: Galactomyces,
This only a handful of the products out there so there are plenty of opportunities to find the best combo for your skin. Hope you found this post useful!